ad

Asbestos scare at Rhos college

Published date: 06 June 2012 |
Published by: Pioneer Reporter
Read more articles by Pioneer Reporter


 

ASBESTOS has been discovered at a college in Rhos on Sea.

Coleg Llandrillo bosses have issued a number of instructions to staff working in its Cinmel block on its Rhos on Sea campus after the toxic material was discovered during a routine survey. 

Tests have since indicated that there is no safety risk in the building, which had been cleared of containing asbestos in a previous report, though a seven-point health and safety guideline has been issued to increase safety.

Guidelines include ensuring chairs, desks and filing cabinets do not touch the walls and coats and other articles are not hung on doors in the block’s first floor, with the asbestos expected to be safely removed over the coming months.

A statement from the College says: “As part of their preparatory work in refurbishing the Cinmel block on the Rhos-on-Sea site, the College was advised, as a matter of routine, to survey the building for asbestos.

“A report from specialist consultants showed that while the majority of the building is totally asbestos-free, some areas do contain some traces of asbestos.

“The areas that do contain asbestos are exclusively staff offices on the upper floor and there are no traces of asbestos in the nursery area.

“As is commonly known, when asbestos is covered (eg by paint) and remains undisturbed, there is no risk at all to health.

“This situation will be fully resolved, and all asbestos will be safely removed, over a period of months.”

Air quality tests revealed there were no health risks in any areas of the Cinmel block and the College was working with a specialist company to develop a short term management plan.

It will also be informing staff how to maintain a “safe and healthy working environment in the affected areas”.

However one staff member, who wished not to be named, remained concerned at the discovery.

“I don’t understand what safe levels there could be for asbestos. They say it’s safe, how can it be safe?

“According to the letter they gave us it isn’t, as we can’t touch the walls or doors anymore, I can’t even hang my coat up .” 

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

  1. Posted by: alhambra at 14:21 on 15 September 2015 Report

    It doesn't surprise me in the least . The premises is a bit of a shambles and not only the building!

Featured Businesses

View all adverts