A CHESTER man has admitted starting a fire at a city hotel sparking a major evacuation.
Stephen James Hill, 41, caused widespread panic after setting fire to the en-suite bathroom of his room at the Travelodge, on Warrington Road, Hoole Village, near Chester.
Dozens of guests were led to safety following the blaze in the early hours of Tuesday, March 27,.
At a hearing at Chester Crown Court yesterday it was heard the deliberate fire caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage and put a number of lives at risk.
Hill, of Beeston View, Handbridge, pleaded guilty to arson.
He was remanded in custody until sentencing on July 23.
The exact circumstances which led Hill to start the fire in the bathroom are unknown, but a psychiatric report has been prepared for the court.
Firecrews raced to the hotel, near Mickle Trafford, just after 4am as guests made their way outside. Fortunately no one was hurt during the blaze.
The hearing was adjourned for sentencing to allow for a pre-sentence report.