No evidence to show how Llandudno mum-of-two drowned, inquest rules


Suzanne Jordan

A MUM-of-two whose body was found washed up on a Merseyside beach died from drowning, but there was “simply not the evidence” to suggest that she had taken her own life, an inquest heard.

Ann-Marie Sarjantson, 29, left her parents home in Maes-yr-Orsedd, Llandudno, at 7.30am on August 3, 2013. During a phone call at about 8.30am, she said to her mum “I love you”. Her mum reminded her to meet her Dad on his way home from work that morning and she responded, “I will.”

Failing to appear she was reported missing and her disappearance sparked a major search around the Great Orme.

Her body was found ten days later on Formby beach by a man who was out walking his dog.

Speaking at the inquest, held in Llandudno Town Hall, north Wales deputy coroner Nicola Jones stated that the medical cause of death was drowning. She explained that there was no evidence to show how Miss Sarjantson had entered the water.

She said: “We can’t say that she has entered the water knowing that it would result in her death.

“I haven’t got the evidence to say if she willingly got in the water. She might have slipped in the water. We can’t even say whether it was an accident - it is all speculation.

"She could have been quite low - there is no evidence. Absolutely none.”

The inquest heard that it was unlikely that Miss Sarjantson had fallen or jumped into the sea. A forensics report stated that she had one fine fracture of the skull and that her injuries were consistent with someone having been in the water for a few days.

On the Wednesday before her disappearance, Miss Sarjantson had been drinking and had written some notes.

The day before her disappearance Miss Sarjantson, who had two young children, went for a walk on the Great Orme and her mum had “great concerns” when she returned.

Ms Jones said: “She had some difficulties in her lifetime. She was suffering from increased anxiety and the anxiety escalated.

“The last conversation was with her mum and she did not indicate that she was going to take her life.”

The deputy coroner recorded a narrative conclusion. She added: “At around 7.30am on August, 3, Ann-Marie left her home and was never seen again until her body was found on Formby beach. It is likely that she entered the water in Llandudno and then she drowned.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read