Councillor calls for action on Old Colwyn sea defences

Reporter:

Annie Roberts

DEMANDS have been made for urgent action by the Welsh Government to install “proper sea defences” to protect Old Colwyn promenade.

Cllr Cheryl Carlisle, of Colwyn Ward, warned “enough was enough” after rough seas breached the footpath and knocked down iron railings, resulting in the prom being closed from Wednesday to Monday and emergency work seeing temporary plastic barriers installed.

Cllr Carlisle who witnessed the storm surge, described it as one of the worst ever seen in Old Colwyn and said “enough was enough”.

”The railings have been washed away or seriously damaged right along from Old Colwyn arches to Porth Eirias, and it is now extremely dangerous.

“The erosion of the sea wall and the embankment means that the railway line and the A55 could be breached with the very next storm.

“The Old Colwyn Sea Defence Plan needs urgent funding, and it is inconceivable to me that the Welsh Government is not recognising the seriousness of this situation.

“The main sewer serving Old Colwyn runs under this section of the promenade and it would be devastating for Old Colwyn if the sea wall is further undermined.”

Clwyd West AM Darren Miller, who raised the issue in the Senedd this week, said: “It’s just a matter of time before we see a serious incident like a loss of life or even some of the railway embankment and A55 coming down, which would cause absolute havoc.

“It’s essential that some work is done here – not just patch repairs, but a thorough job to bring it up to modern standards so that people can be protected from the sea.”
Llandudno coastguard posted on Facebook on Friday that sections of railing and footpath had been damaged causing “serious safety concerns”.

Safety advice was issued to people getting “a little too close for comfort whilst taking pictures of the spectacular waves”.

The social media account also said that a coastguard representative had met a local councillor at Old Colwyn, who was concerned for the safety of the promenade.

Conwy County Borough Council said the closure of the promenade was not “unusual” during the winter months, especially when high tides and severe weather were expected.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read