A Parliamentary candidate has hit out at the coverage she has received from national newspapers after she was the target of sexual abuse messages online.
Emily Owen, 22, who is standing as a candidate for Labour in Aberconwy on June 8, took to social media to say she was 'shocked' by the amount of 'disgusting' messages she had been sent including what bra size she was.
The story was picked up by national media outlets - such as The Sun and Daily Mail- and pictures of Miss Owen on nights out when she was 19 were used.
The Labour candidate said she did not supply the papers with the pictures and felt her experience has been "underminded".
Posting on Facebook, Miss Owen wrote: "The pictures that some papers used were from nights out when I was 19. I wasn’t in a business meeting, nor was I talking politics - and I did not supply the papers with these images.
"Nevertheless they choose to undermine my experience, rather than deal with the fact that some men can write such aggressive comments to a young woman with no accountability. This is disappointing.
"The comments I received from men are not acceptable and the abusive comments relating to speaking out have been equally unacceptable."
Miss Owen said she has had cross-party support and will encourage others to speak up if they have experienced sexism.
She stated: "I won’t be silenced because sexism is not okay! I have had wonderful support cross-party about this and I am grateful for the support from both men and women.
"So if it is happening to you, call it out. If you see it happening to someone else, call it out. Support each other in tackling this and let’s make an effort to make this behaviour disappear."