A BOY whose one punch caused fractures to the face of a school bus driver was told that he’d narrowly avoided being locked up. 

“We did seriously consider this,” said court chairwoman Celia Lewis at Llandudno Youth Court, where the teenager had admitted causing grievous bodily harm, racially aggravated because he’d called the Polish driver “an immigrant”. 

The driver, Rober (corr) Pyka, 35, spent a night in hospital after the attack at Llandudno Junction last March when the boy, now 16, was still 15. 

Prosecuting, Helen Richardson said there had been a previous incident in which the boy had been refused travel on the bus because he had not got his pass.

It was alleged that this time the boy had again been told he couldn’t board because of past problems, and, at the bottom of the step, he grabbed Mr Pyka’s clothing.

He punched his face, other pupils shouting at him to stop. 

“Mr Pyka’s nose was bleeding heavily and an ambulance was called and he was taken to A and E. X-rays showed he had sustained quite serious fractures to his face.

"Unfortunately he had to have surgery and a metal plate in his cheekbone.” 

Guy Dodd, defending, said the boy had a close family and hoped to go to university and follow a professional career.

There had been anger management issues for many years and he had a previous conviction for common assault in which he had lashed at the perspex screen alongside another bus driver.

In Mr Pyka’s case there may have been a slight provocation because it was alleged the driver had flicked two fingers. 

Mr Dodd said the boy had written to the magistrates and also a letter of apology to Mr Pyka, and the solicitor handed in a number of testimonials. 

It was sad, he added, that help for his problems had not been available until he had offended. 

The boy told the court: “I just want you to give me a last chance.

"I saw red again and couldn’t control myself.” 

Magistrates imposed a two-year rehabilitation order and, because they heard there was a high risk of the youngster re-offending, decided that for three months there must be intensive supervision and surveillance. The order will involve 91 days of special activity, including one-to-one sessions, and dealing with impulsive and aggressive behaviour and victim empathy. 

He must pay Mr Pyka £200 compensation, with costs of £115, and for three months the boy must observe a 9pm-6am curfew. 

The court chairwoman reminded him: “The offence is so serious that we could have sent you to custody because of the serious injury to Mr Pyka that resulted in surgery, and also because of the racial abuse and your previous offence of a similar nature.”