A top curry house was fined £4,000 after serving a boy of 16, who had a severe peanut allergy,a chicken korma containing peanuts.

Ty Asha Balti House at Llanrwst in the Conwy Valley, a Welsh curry house of the year winner, pleaded guilty to a food safety breach in February last year.

Magistrates at Llandudno heard a group of tourists had visited the restaurant and warned a waiter that the boy must not have peanuts.

Prosecutor Julia Longworth said the teen had a “severe allergic reaction” and was given two EpiPen jabs, an ambulance was called, and he was taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital Paul McAlinden, defending, said the business had been conducted successfully for nearly 20 years.

But peanut powder had been delivered to the restaurant instead of ordered almond powder.

“There’s no evidence to suggest this was anything other than an unfortunate set of circumstances,” the solicitor said.

Court chairman Ken Allitt said the chef had failed to notice it was peanut powder.

There were systems in place but not adhered to completely.

£500 compensation was awarded to the boy and £2,400 prosecution costs.