A well-known Llandudno businessman out Christmas shopping did not display much festive spirit when he came across his ex-wife’s current partner, a court heard.

As the two came face-to-face Steven Dickens head told Christopher White: “Get out of my house” and “You’re going to get a visit.”

He then blocked Mr White’s path and headbutted him, leaving him with a slight cut to his nose.

Last week magistrates in Llandudno heard that the confrontation, which was witnessed by passers-by and caught on CCTV,occurred on December 23 near the Debenhams at Parc Llandudno retail park.

Dickens, 54, of Mostyn Avenue, Llandudno, denied common assault but was found guilty after a trial.

When he appeared for sentence on Monday a probation officer told the court that Dickens claimed to have no hostile feelings towards Mr White, who had been in a relationship with his ex-wife for about three years.

He said he had acted in self-defence, believing that Mr White was going to hit him, and he would have reacted in the same way to anyone in those circumstances.

“He takes little responsibility for the incident,” said the pre-sentence report.

Defence solicitor Patrick O’Hanlon said that Dickens, described as a property manager, maintained the same stance, feeling he was being pushed backwards by Mr White, who was sharing a house with the defendant’s ex-wife.

“It has to be acknowledged that there must be some ill-feeling,” he said, but added that there had been other occasions when the two men had come across each other but no trouble had occurred.

Imposing a 12-month community sentence, District Judge Gwyn Jones commented: “It is clear there was some history between the two of you and that made you aggrieved about the current living arrangements.”

The order contained two conditions – a 15-day rehabilitation programme to challenge his behaviour and a 24- week 6pm – 6 am curfew.

Dickens was also ordered to pay Mr White £600 in compensation, as well as courts costs of £620 and a surcharge of £85.

The judge also imposed a restraining order preventing him from contacting Mr White for three years.