Plans to improve the sea defences at Llandudno could protect the Victorian seaside town from 100 years of climate change but cost more than £12 million.

Members of Conwy’s economy and place committee will hold a special meeting on Thursday to discuss the plans and to set up a public drop in session.

The Welsh Government has made £150 million investment available to

county councils through its Coastal Risk Management Programme (CRMP) to improve existing coastal defence infrastructure as the planet deals with climate change and an expected rise in sea levels.

In the early stages  100% would be funded by the Welsh Government, but the construction stage would only be funded to the level of 75% with the remaining 25% provided either by the council or privately.

A report to members of the committee said: “Llandudno has been identified as one of the more vulnerable communities in Wales from flooding and a proposed scheme will protect houses and businesses from the impact of future climate change. All schemes are designed to accommodate 100 years of climate change.”

The North Shore options include carrying on with business as usual or beach nourishment (where sand is replaced) or the second option with shore connected control structures.

The third combined option  could result  a  capital cost of £12,100,000.

The control structures would be fishtail or timber groynes placed on the beach.

West Shore could see periodic maintenance or a wall extension to existing defences or a combination of both.

The capital costs of the coastal defence options at West Shore vary from

£0.6m to £2.7m