A DISCARDED cigarette caused a chain of fires on Llandudno high street in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called to Mostyn Street after drain pipes were ablaze at about 4.30am.

However they found plant pots had also caught fire, which had spread to the drain pipes.

North Wales Fire and Rescue service said the fires were likely caused by a discarded cigarette.

A fire service spokesperson said: "We were called to report drain pipes were on fire at 4.35am on Wednesday.

"We sent one crew from Llandudno, who put the fire out just after 5am.

"It was caused by a cigarette which was discarded and ignited flower plant pots, which spread to the drain pipes."

The fire service urges smokers to make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly and disposed of carefully.