THERE was one casualty following a house fire in Colwyn Bay.

The fire at 12.17pm, on Monday, caused 30 percent smoke damage in the kitchen. The flames were confined to a five square metre area of the room.

A spokesperson for the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said two fire appliances attended the incident.

The fire had started accidentally when smoking materials set alight a wicker bin which was 100 percent destroyed.

A spokesperson for the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust said: “We were called on Monday, September 9, at approximately 12:30pm, to reports of a house on fire in Colwyn Bay.

"We responded with one emergency ambulance, however, one patient refused treatment after our crew’s arrival.”