NORTH Wales Fire and Rescue were called to deal with two discarded barbecues in the space of six hours on the Great Orme in Llandudno.

On Tuesday May 27, crews from the town had to deal with two separate incidents at just after 2pm and just after 8pm.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "We were first called at 2.04pm to an unattended barbecue which was 'well alight' on the Great Orme.

"Six hours later, at 8.15pm, we had to return to the area to deal with a carelessly discarded barbecue which took until 9.30pm to fully extinguish."

North Wales Fire and Rescue say they are urging residents not to put 'unnecessary strain' on their services during the coronavirus pandemic.

As such, they are asking residents not to light garden fires and bonfires; in order to protect those who may have respiratory problems.

A spokesperson added: "Smoke from garden waste fires produces carbon monoxide and pollutants that can irritate airways, the skin and eyes. This can cause coughing, wheezing and chest pain, particularly if it is damp and smouldering, affecting people with asthma and other respiratory diseases. These people are also at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

"Burning plastic, rubber or painted materials not only creates an unpleasant smell but also produces a range of poisonous compounds.

"Avoiding lighting fires will also help our emergency services at this time as fires can easily spread and cause damage and injury."

For further information on what you can and shouldn't do during lockdown, go to: