A GROUP of people having a barbecue on the Great Orme started a bin fire after they had panicked when they saw police turn up.

According to North Wales Police's West Conwy Coastal team, officers were on patrol in the area and came across the group.

North Wales Pioneer:

PICTURE: NWP West Conwy Coastal

A spokesperson said: "Some panicked when they saw us and one of them put their disposable BBQ in the bin which then went on fire.

"Colleagues from the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended and put the fire out. Thankfully the grass did not catch fire as the wind was blowing in the other direction, however this could have easily escalated.

"Keep the BBQ's for your back garden."