RGC'S first home Premiership match of the season ended in a 25-21 loss versus unbeaten Cardiff.

In front of a crowd of 1,200, Afon Bagshaw and Christian Hone scored late tries for RGC.

Sam Rogers slotted over three penalties and Dion Jones added a conversion.

There was a bright start from RGC, with the home side playing the opening minutes in the Cardiff half.

They were rewarded with a penalty and three points when Sam Rogers hit a successful penalty.

The Gogs' fly half was on target again on 12 minutes with his second penalty as RGC were making sure they took the points when they were available.

The game turned when Cardiff broke down the field before Afon Bagshaw failed to get his hands on a pass and was adjudged to have deliberately knocked on. Cardiff were awarded a penalty try and RGC were behind and their captain yellow carded.

Harrison extended the visitors' lead with a penalty and the side from the capital were looking to expose the space in the Gogs' backline with Millard and James both looking dangerous with ball in hand.

Ethan Fackrell did well to keep Cardiff out after they were camped on the RGC lines, but it wasn’t long until they went over for try number two.

Jacob Lloyd was the one to cross the line.

RGC replied with another Rogers' penalty to close the gap.

The numerical advantage was in Cardiff's favour again when scrum-half Efan Jones was yellow-carded.

The lineout wasn’t firing in the opening 40 minutes but the RGC scrum won a good penalty in the 39th minute which gave Sam Earl-Jones the chance to kick from his own half, but it edged just wide.

It was Cardiff who got an early second half score when James hit the penalty over, to give his side an 18-9 lead

The task for RGC was made even more difficult as Cardiff built some good phases before Ollie Robinson crashed over for the try and James kicked the extras.

RGC put in a really good phase of rugby, from a strong scrum, powerful maul and then moving the ball well.

Matt Buchanan and Ethan Fackrell both made good yards, while Delwyn Jones went close, but he was held up on the line.

The Gogs were having plenty of ball, with Efan Jones and Dan Owen making breaks but they couldn’t get away from the Cardiff defensive line.

Cardiff made another break with James being met by a thunderous tackle from Dion Jones who stopped him in his tracks.

Credit to RGC as they continued to ask the questions and a try arrived when Afon Bagshaw collected a looping pass to dab down.


Rhyl 1879 fall short against Ruthin in Welsh Cup loss

Colwyn Bay come from behind to see off Bow Street in Welsh Cup

RGC were finishing strongly and Bagshaw took a looping pass in the corner to get over for the score. Rogers hooked the conversion wide.

The pressure was building and Nathan Hudd was shown a yellow for the visitors. Frustratingly the Gogs were held up on the line when the maul drove over.

RGC did get over again when Christian Hone crashed through to get a try before Dion Jones kicked the conversion to close the gap to four points, but the final whistle came soon afterwards.

RGC head coach Ceri Jones told the club's website: “I felt we left some good opportunities out on the pitch and that cost us.

"Our lineout had some errors and then we didn’t capitalise when we were in their 22 for long periods in the second half.

"We have to be more clinical, and we have to take those chances but we can’t keep on saying it.

"We had some good momentum early, took the points and then it was a 14-point swing when our lineout didn’t find our hands. They broke and minutes later it was a yellow card and a penalty try.

"Playing with 14 men, I think we did alright and stayed in the game but then a second yellow and some errors gave them the chances.

"If we cut out the errors, then we could cause any team problems, and it's something as the coach I have to take responsibility for.

"In training, I need to get these messages across to the players and work on it at training.

"Credit to the boys' resilience and fitness as even with the errors we stayed in the game up to the final whistle and it's commendable and infuriating at the same time.

"It was great to see Paddy Nelson get 30 minutes and put in a good effort against the Cardiff pack, plus Owain Evans get some game-time which will do them both good experience wise going forward."