A TEENAGER from Llandudno has been spared jail after he left a man needing surgery by striking him to the nose with a wine glass in Conwy.

Danny Barr, 19, of Cae Mawr, was sentenced to six months’ detention in a young offenders institution, suspended for a year, at Caernarfon Crown Court today (September 19).

He had previously pleaded guilty to a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent.


Rhos-on-Sea weightlifter died after bar fell on his neck

Man whose body was found in sea in Llanfairfechan named

Retired farmer found in River Conwy by paddleboarder

Prosecuting, Paulinus Barnes told the court that, on the evening of May 14, 2022, Barr was out drinking when he was challenged by Charlie Rayner-Jones about the way he was behaving towards a woman.

Barr, intoxicated at the time, responded by striking Mr Rayner-Jones in the face with a glass.

Though Mr Rayner-Jones’ surgery was a success, he said his nose is “still sensitive”, and that he was left with a “large line of stitches” on his faces.

He added that struggles almost nightly to sleep, and often wakes up a short time after falling asleep with headaches.

Mr Rayner-Jones said he also struggles when hearing the sound of glass as it “always reminds me of the assault”.

For the first six months after the incident, he said, he barely left his home, and affected his hobby of kickboxing.

Barr was interviewed the day after the incident; though he answered no comment, he became “visibly upset” when shown pictures of the injuries.

Defending Barr, who had no previous convictions, Sarah Yates, said his behaviour was “a complete overreaction” and “entirely out of character”.

He has not re-offended since the incident, she said, and is “ashamed” and “extremely remorseful”.

Barr, who has started a degree at a university in Liverpool, has a “good work ethic” and “good prospects ahead of him”, Ms Yates said.

She invited the court to draw back from imposing immediate custody for Barr, adding: “I’m sure this has been a very, very big lesson for him.”

Sentencing, Judge Timothy Petts said the photos of Mr Rayner-Jones were “not pretty”, after an “impulse assault” which has caused “clearly a bad injury”.

He added: “It’s a permanent reminder to him, in a prominent place on his face, of what you did to him that night.”

Judge Petts also ordered Barr to complete 100 hours’ unpaid work, and imposed restraining order, preventing him from contacting Mr Rayner-Jones for five years.

Barr will also pay £500 in compensation to Mr Rayner-Jones.