A FIRE broke out in Old Colwyn on Wednesday evening (February 28) involving an e-bike battery.

Crews from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident, though thankfully, smoke alarms sounded and everyone in the house escaped unharmed.

The service used this example as a reminder to residents to test their smoke alarms to make sure they are working, and to close doors to prevent fire spread before heading up to bed.


Woman found sleeping rough in Colwyn Bay left pets 'dishevelled'

Woman ‘lost everything’ & had life ‘stripped away’ by Conwy ex-partner

A service spokesperson said: “The average UK household has many rechargeable items that contain lithium ion batteries, such as laptops, mobile phones, e-scooters, e-cigarettes, and mobility vehicles.

“Each of these items has the potential to cause a serious fire in your home.”

You can find out more about simple steps you can take to keep safe in this regard by visiting: www.northwalesfire.gov.wales/keeping-you-safe/at-home/lithium-ion-batteries.