RGC head coach Ceri Jones knows where his side need to improve on after their defeat to English Championship side Doncaster Knights.

The visitors increased the intensity early on as they tested the RGC defence but the RGC coaching staff would have been happy with the pack as it held firm under pressure. 

Former RGC players George Roberts and Billy McBryde started for the Knights.

When the game was open, it was quick with Rhys Tudor getting hold of a loose ball and making some big yards.

It was Doncaster that scored first when full-back Cant broke down the wing to touch down, with a conversion by Dolly.

The game sparked into action when Doncaster’s Edwards was sent off after a dangerous tackle on Dan Owen.

MORE: Colwyn Bay pick up first point of season in Barry Town draw

Minutes later RGC capitalised on the extra man when Delwyn Jones grabbed the try and a Sam Earl-Jones conversion levelled the score.

It was end to end, with errors from both teams but with space opening up, neither side being able to take advantage.

Doncaster finished the half with the lead when the pack powered over and the try was awarded.

The game was a scrappy one, with the referees whistle getting most of the action, with scrums and penalties dominating the proceedings.

With the visitors having a man less, RGC weren’t seeing the advantage either in possession or territory.

The game was a feisty one, with another scuffle breaking out which stopped play again for a couple of minutes.

Doncaster again showed the power in the pack as they drove to the RGC line and went over for another try, this time from Davidson.

It was the visitors that found the space and moved the ball quickly with Fox running down the short side from the scrum to grab another try.

Minutes later Parkin went in for another score, and Olver converted.

RGC were now camped in their own half and a cross-field kick found the hands of Tait who collected and scored in the corner.

The speed and physicality in the attacking running from the visitors was evident throughout, with the young RGC side struggling to contain them.

RGC were unable to keep the visitors from making those good yards, and again they went over with a couple of short passes and straight runners, with Olver making it a 41-7 final score.

After the game, Ceri Jones said: “I thought for 50 minutes we completed well and in the first half our speed and physicality were good but I think it showed where we are with our strength and depth compared to the experience of Doncaster.

“We brought on a number of players who were last year's U18s and they will learn from this experience. 

“Being exposed to a side that has that speed in both attack and defence will benefit them. 

“You could see the difference in that physicality and size at the end of the game, with our average age around 21.

“I knew this was going to be a tough test, but it’s a test we need, and we know what we need to work on and where we need to improve as we build towards the Cardiff opener in the league come September.”