LLANDUDNO survived a major JD Welsh Cup scare to advance at the expense of Huws Gray Alliance side Ruthin Town.

Iwan Williams’ men needed extra time and a late equaliser to guide them to a 4-3 victory at the Giant Hospitality Stadium against a spirited second tier side in difficult conditions.

Tudno open Phase Two of the JD Welsh Premier League season this Saturday when they host Newtown (4.15pm), who needed penalties to dispose of Flint Town United to reach the last eight.

The home side began the game in confident fashion and went ahead early on when Toby Jones unleashed a left-footed effort past the despairing Ryan Goldston on 17 minutes to open the scoring.

Gradually the visitors began to grow in confidence as they familiarised themselves with the blustery conditions, and after the break they got back into the contest when Tom Roberts used the wind to his advantage and send a 35-yard effort over the head of Dave Roberts.

This spurred on Chris Williams’ side even more and they went ahead on 67 minutes when Ilan Hughes latched on to a poor clearance from Roberts, and his ambitious effort from 45 yards somehow found its way past the Tudno stopper.

An upset looked extremely likely thanks to the stout defensive work of veteran Kevin Evans and Mike Sharples, but the home side sent the game into extra time when Denbigh native Matty Williams react first to a goalmouth scramble to prod in from close range on 87 minutes.

With the second-tier side beginning to feel the pace in the first period of extra time, the hosts took full advantage on 92 minutes when Marc Williams lofted the ball over Goldston to put them ahead once again, and this was swiftly followed by a fourth which arrived courtesy of Jones’ second of the evening on 97.

Credit to the away side, they kept plugging away and reduced the arrears on 113 minutes when the tireless Osian Davies rounded off a fine team move to find the net, but Tudno managed to weather the storm and hold on for the narrowest of cup triumphs.