CONWY Borough continued their red-hot form since the appointment of manager Warren Gibbs with a 3-1 home win over Holywell Town.

The Tangerines extended their lengthy unbeaten run with another polished display that sees them move into sixth spot in the Huws Gray Alliance standings, but they face a stern test of their credentials this Friday when they make the trip to Rhyl (7.30pm).

Gibbs, said: “I thought we played some good stuff in spells during the first half and created two good goals. We were disappointed that a lapse in concentration led to the free kick for Holywell's goal.

“We've probably played better in recent weeks but what pleased me most was the resilience under pressure during the second half which we knew would come.

“The spirit in the group is great and the lads are enjoying their football. We now go into a tough run of fixtures, but we go into them with nothing to fear and look forward to testing ourselves.”

The opening exchanges were filled with some robust challenges that resulted in little momentum for either side, but it was the home side that drew first blood when the prolific Corrig McGonigle steered in a chance on 25 minutes.

Things got even better for the hosts soon after when another neat passage of play presented a chance to Gethin Maxwell on 27 minutes, and the powerful midfielder made no mistake with the finish to double their advantage.

Johnny Haseldin’s side responded well to the setback and got back into the game on 31 minutes when Josh Maldon unleashed a ferocious free-kick into the top corner after Damian Ketley was felled just outside the area.

The away side missed opportunities to level matters just before the break when Maldon and Steve Lewis both went close, with McGonigle rattling the crossbar at the other end just after the interval following good link-up play with strike partner Dean Seager.

Forward Aarom Pomeyie received a red card for Town in the closing stages, and the Tangerines finally secured the three points through a McGonigle penalty in stoppage time.