RGC head coach Matt Silva was left rueing a poor first half display during their 29-20 defeat at Indigo Group Premiership rivals Llandovery.

The Gogs’ fell to their first league defeat of the campaign after giving themselves too much to do in the second period, and they will be hoping for better fortune during their next outing on October 12 at home to Pontypridd.

Speaking to the RGC website, Silva said: “The talk at halftime was around how we gifted them easy tries, as they didn’t have to work that hard for the lead.

“We had a choice at half time, roll over and it would be a 50-point score or go out and try and win the half. We put in a better second half performance and got on the front foot and could have come away with a bonus point if Maynard hadn’t kicked that last penalty.

“In our opening two league games we have played the top two sides from last season, and it doesn’t get any easier next time out against Pontypridd.”

The home side got their noses in front early on when Lee Reece’s sensational run from halfway resulted in a touch down that was converted by Jack Maynard.

A Billy McBryde penalty got RGC on the board following the setback, but they were undone again on 21 minutes when Jack Jones evaded tackles to cross the white wash.

McBryde was able to despatch his second penalty after good work from Afon Bagshaw, however this joy was fleeting as Reece burst clear for his brace and Maynard slotted the conversion to give the hosts a 13-point cushion at the break.

After the break saw an improved start from the Gogs’ rewarded with their first try through McBryde, which he also converted, but a lapse in concentration during a critical stage in the contest on 58 minutes saw Dino Dallavalle go over for the hosts. Maynard added the extras.

A nervy end to proceedings was assured when Tom Hughes crossed the line for the visitors on 65 for a score that was converted by McBryde, but the Drovers’ weathered the storm and sealed the win when Maynard slotted over a penalty.