HOLYHEAD Hotspur manager Darren Garmey outlined his relief after his side progressed in the Lock Stock Cookson Cup with a dramatic 5-4 win over Llanrwst United.

The Holy Islanders’ took an early lead when Sam Ashworth found the net on 17 minutes, and they added a second through forward Chris Jones with 22 gone.

Callum Parry was looking lively for the Rwsters’ and he managed to fire in a quick-fire brace on 25 and 32 minutes to level matters for the visitors, and the same player was on hand to despatch another chance to give United a shock lead on 42 heading into the break.

After the interval saw the home side up the tempo and equalise through Jones’ second of the tie on 77 minutes, and the ruthless finisher was in the right place at the right time to seal his hat-trick with nine minutes remaining.

The visitors refused to lie down and looked to have sent the game into extra-time when Parry notched his fourth of the contest with another fine finish, but they were caught napping in stoppage time which resulted in Dan McGuinness firing a winner for Spurs with virtually the final goalmouth action.

Garmey, said: “Progression was all that mattered, and we had a feeling it would not be straight forward after such a big occasion last week.

“We started the game really well, gave away some poor goals and went in 3-2 down. Then after a few honest discussions at halftime we came out flying and were relentless in attack and there was only going to be one winner.”

Goals from Dean Redmond and Ryan Thomas gave Bodedern Athletic a 2-1 home win over Prestatyn Sports, and Llanberis also advanced with a penalty shootout triumph at Glan Conwy.

Meilir Williams fired a brace for Blaenau Ffestiniog Amateurs in their 2-1 extra-time victory at Llandudno Albion, with a two-goal salvo from Iwan Evans the highlight of Llanrug United’s 5-0 home success over Llandyrnog United.

Nantlle Vale also advanced thanks to a 1-0 triumph at Mynydd Llandegai, but Penrhyndeudraeth were beaten 2-1 at home by Denbigh Town.