COLWYN Bay manager Craig Hogg had no complaints after his side were beaten 2-1 at home by Prestatyn Town.

The Seagulls’ were undone by two first-half goals against the runaway JD Cymru North leaders, and they now have the weekend off following the busy Christmas break before returning to action at Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant on January 11.

Hogg, said: “Prestatyn deserved the victory I feel, particularly for how they played in the first half.

“The aim for us was to have a go at them and see if we could get something from the game and we very nearly did in the end.

“On another day Mike Williams’ header in the closing minutes goes a couple of yards either side of their keeper and goes in.

“But we got off to the worst possible start conceding early on and their second goal shortly after that, again gave us a big task to overcome.

“Going down to ten men in the second half compounded that, but full credit to the lads, they kept going like they always do.

“It was a great advert for North Wales football with nearly a thousand people in attendance, but from our point of view we are disappointed we haven’t given our fans a result to cheer about on the day.”

The visitors came out of the traps flying and got off to the perfect start on two minutes when veteran midfielder Michael Parker popped up with a far post header that managed to sail past Bay stopper Andy Coughlin to break the deadlock.

Mike Williams spurned a half chance to get the hosts back on level terms immediately following the restart, but the title favourites continued to dominate possession during the opening exchanges and they doubled their advantage when Jack Higgins prodded home from close range after good work from Jordan Davies with 24 on the clock.

After the break saw Bay’s quest to get themselves back into the game suffer a body blow when influential wide-man Sion Edwards was shown a red card on 61 minutes, and Danny Davies almost settled matters when his effort was brilliantly diverted by Coughlin in the aftermath of the dismissal.

Substitute Ian Griffiths was the next to test Coughlin on 79 minutes with a strike that the keeper was once again equal to, and the Bay reduced the arrears with 81 gone thanks to a successful attempt from Alex Downes.

The away side nearly restored their two-goal cushion in stoppage time when a Warren Adam shot narrowly evaded the target, and the Seagulls’ came within inches of snatching a point at the death when Jon Rushton kept out a goal-bound effort following a late corner.