10-MAN Wales bowed out of UEFA Euro 2020 in truly disappointing fashion as they were beaten 4-0 by a determined Denmark side in the last 16.

Rob Page’s men progressed from Group A, which also featured Italy, Switzerland and Turkey, to set up the knockout round tie at the Johan Cruijff ArenA in Amsterdam.

But, their Danish opponents, who had beaten Russia 4-1 in their last group stage match, outclassed them on the day.

Despite seeing one of their star players, Christian Eriksen, suffer a cardiac arrest during their opening match of the campaign with Finland, and losing two of their group stage matches, the Danes have bounced back to show their quality as a whole team in the last two matches.

Scoring eight goals in two matches has caught the eye of many and places them as one of the tournament’s underdogs now.
On Saturday, Denmark started on the front foot and kept their momentum from the Russia victory going.

In a stadium packed full of lively Danish fans, it was striker Kasper Dolberg who opened the scoring just before the half hour mark with a wonderful curling finish into the bottom right hand corner.

Despite continued pressure from Denmark, the same scoreline remained until half time.

But, in the second half, Kasper Hjulmand’s side really stepped it up a gear and made sure that it was them who would progress to the quarter final stages of Euro 2020.

Dolberg struck again just three minutes after the re-start. Wales substitute Neco Williams tried to clear the ball only for it to bounce straight into the path of the striker who made no mistake and capitalised on the mistake.

There was some controversy and protests following the goal as wales felt striker Kieffer Moore had been fouled in the build up.

What was to happen in the final ten minutes of the match would end Euro 2020 in a bitterly frustrating and disappointing fashion for Wales.

It was well and truly game over when full-back Joakim Maehle found acres of space down the right before cutting inside and finishing brilliantly to make it 3-0 with three minutes to go.

Substitute Harry Wilson, who hails from Corwen, was then shown a very harsh red card for a late foul on Maehle before Martin Braithwaite put one final nail in the coffin with another late goal in stoppage time which was given after a VAR check.

Despite a disappointing end to the campaign, Wales can once again be proud of the fact that they made it out of a very tough group stage in which they had been unfancied ahead of the tournament.